NNTPC: cache runs, but no groups are visible

Hello, All!

I just installed the version 1.0.5 of NNTP-cache on my FreeBSD-2.2.1
machine. NNTP-cached seems to start fine, but:
	* every time is starts it talks for about 7 minutes to
	  the news-server (I'd expect the necessity to do this only once)
	* kill -HUP kills it entirely, with the following info logged:
Apr 13 02:09:05 aldan nntpcached[1838]: nntpcache.c:95:Interrupted system call: SIGSEGV!
	* Once it comes up, my news-reader (knews-0.98) claims there are no
	  newsgroups, PERIOD. This is the worst part, of course

I configured it by the example "Leaf node, slow link, one server one user".
I try to read news from the machine nearby (rtfm.ziplink.net), which run
FreeBSD-3.0. My news-server is news.ziplink.net (kayrad.ziplink.net).

I'll be happy to provide more info to anyone with a helping hand, but I'm
afraid this is something idioticly obvious, and do not want to pollute your
list with my useless details.

Thanks for your help!

	-mi