NNTPC: overview.fmt & Xref:full

> > I don't understand, its Xref line should always be the same as the one
> > obtained from the remote server.
>
> Which is one of several reasons some *intelligent* newsreaders have
> problems with nntpcache... It should *NOT* forward the original Xref line
> unchanged.

I agree that Xref handling could be improved...

> And the performance I'm talking is not just that it doesn't have the
> information available and have to go and get it, that wouldn't explain why
> either 'list active' or 'list active <newsgroup>' takes 20-100 times as
> long as the new INN 1.5.1 server on the same machine, especially not if
> you did exactly the same operation 1 minute ago!!

... but this one I have a problem understanding. Either of these commands
are usually instantaneous against my nntpcache servers. If it's been too
long since the active file was fetched from a downstream server, it will
be fetched again, and this will of course take some time. But this is the
exception, not the rule.