NNTPC: update interval after failure to get `active'?

Ronald Florence wrote:
> I have a minor, sporadic problem with nntpcache-1.0, used on a
> dial-on-demand PPP link to the news-provider.  Sometimes, the
> news-server at the news-provider will be down, or the PPP connection
> will fail for some reason.  Nntpcache records the failure to get the
> active file, but records the `update' as finished.

This is not what the log says.  The log says that the remote side told us that
it is closing because it has timed out after 7200s.  The 503 message apparently
came from the remote server.  I don't know how this can be possible if the PPP
connection or the remote server is down.

And the could not connect message later can only be generated when it cannot
connect.  That means even if you were connecting directly with a newsreader you
would still fail to connect.  If you have evidence to the contrary then please
post them.

> Feb 12 06:05:03 auda nntpcached-update[1038]: checking server news.connix.com for 'active'
> Feb 12 06:05:03 auda nntpcached-update[1038]: No children: list active on news.connix.com error: 503 Timeout after 7200 seconds, closing connection.^M
> Feb 12 06:05:03 auda nntpcached-update[1038]: update daemon finished
> Feb 12 06:05:03 auda ./nntpcached[1037]: connect from ron@auda (192.101.32.4)
> Feb 12 06:05:05 auda ./nntpcached[1037]: posting <lambing_855745503@mlfarm.com>^M
> Feb 12 06:06:20 auda ./nntpcached[1037]: Connection timed out: could not connect to news.connix.com as DEFAULT
> Feb 12 06:06:20 auda ./nntpcached[1037]: Connection timed out: couldn't post article to news.connix.com (server down)
>
> If another connection is made to nntpcache before the update interval
> for active (4h) has expired, `active' is not retrieved.  For some
> newsreaders, this presents a problem.

Please try connecting directly if you see something like this happen again.
And if you do suceed in connecting directly, then it may be a bug in
nntpcached.
--
Debian GNU/Linux 1.2 is out! { http://www.debian.org/ }
Email:  Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert@greathan.apana.org.au>