NNTPC: trouble running/configuring nntpcached

 We are having trouble getting nnptcached to work, and are  running  out  of
 ideas of what to try. We are running FreeBSD 2.1.6 and NNTPcache V1.0.1.

 The  trouble  is  that  the  nntpcached  program  loads  but  there  are no
 newsgroups that show up. A request for a list of newsgroups yields an  empy
 list:

$ telnet hercules 119
Trying 199.224.10.73...
Connected to hercules.carroll.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 hercules.carroll.com NNTPcache server V1.0.1 Feb  7 1997 ready (posting ok).

list
215
.
quit
205
Connection closed by foreign host.

 We  have  noticed  that  although  their are two copies of the program upon
 load, after a minute of  so,  one  copy  ends.  Since  we  have  never  run
 nntpcache before, we are not sure if this is expected behaviour.

 The only message reported in the syslog file is:

Feb  7 18:37:29 hercules nntpcached-update[4454]: sockets.c:256:Undefined error: 0: saw more than one '\r'

 The pid displayed  in  brackets  is  that  of  the  nntpcache  client  that
 terminates. I assume this is it's death message.

 Another piece of information that be of interest is the overview.fmt file.
 It appears that our upstream has rather unusual overview.fmt format.  Here
 is a list of their overview format:

list overview.fmt
215 Order of fields in overview database.