Re: news bandwidth issues

> How much disk space does the caching program require? Is it tunable? What
> sort of algorithms do you use to determine which groups are being read
> locally by which users?

disk space is hard to calculate. 100Mb-1G is reasonable. Depends a lot
on if you permit bin groups

> We would like to have a single server, running the caching program on it
> and having some local news groups. But I see a problem there, becuase your
> program will probably want to communicate with NNTP servers via the NNTP
> port, but there can be only one program that listens to the port. So
> perhaps we will hve to stop running local groups. What do you think?

You just run inn on (say) port 120 and then nntpcache uses localhost:120
for the localgroups

> [...]
> please call my assistant Wildfire [...]

You have an assistant called Wildfire? She sounds very assisting.

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons