Re: NNTPC: patch for hanging cacheds

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Herbert Xu wrote:

>> We do get this problem and we're running BSD/OS 2.1.  However, it only
>> seems to hang for the first minute or two after it's launched,
>> accepting connections but not answering them.  It works fine after that.
>
>That's because it's trying to get the overview.fmt's, which is OK.

Would it be possible to have the server refuse connections until it is
actually ready to respond to queries?  Clients are much more likely
to understand 'news server not available, try back shortly' than a 2-5
minute hang.

Just an idea (and no, I've not looked at the code yet to see if it is
possible or not  8-)

-abc

  Death, Taxes, and Liberals will always be with us.    |  Alan B. Clegg
  At least Death never gets any worse.                  |  gateway.com, inc.