Question regarding authentication... ?

Hi.

I would like to require authentication for people to be able to read the
*erotica* groups in nntpcache.  I am using 0.93.3.

I put this line in my access file:

*                      *erotica*       auth            valid-users

If I don't include the valid-users bit at the end it runs properly when I
restart the server but all the *erotica* groups are filtered out and I can't
seem to log in.

If I include the valid-users bit and put a file in the config directory with
a list of users who are allowed to be authenticated it won't run.
Permissions seem ok and the users exist in /etc/passwd.

Is this code usable at all (the distrubited access file says the code is
incomplete)?

How does it work?  I am assuming that it gets it's username and password
from /etc/passwd and will only authenticate for people who are in the file
specified iin the access file.  What is the format for this file?  Does it
need to be a full path to the file?

etc etc

Thanks for any and all help.

Adam.