nntpcache 0.93.3UL (Sunos-4.1.3)

I recently built and installed nntpcache 0.93.3UL on a Sunos-4.1.3
system.  It configured and built painlessly once I made the following
change to .../mmalloc/realloc.c

				   /* ron@auda.mlfarm.com, 11 Oct 1996 */
   #ifdef sun
   #define memmove(dest, src, len)	bcopy(src, dest, len)
   #endif

Nntpcache seems to handily and efficiently replace our old kluged up
system of slurp + Cnews.  It works here with emacs/gnus, trn, and
netscape.  It breaks with xvnews (we seem to get headers but the same
article body comes up for every article in a newsgroup); I suspect the
problems lie with xvnews, which is a bit long-in-the-tooth as a
newsreader.

I do have a few questions/problems:

  1. The rfc931() code in acc.c doesn't seem to work on our system.
     The log carries messages indicating `connect from unknown@auda (IP
     address)' instead of getting the user name.  Is this a problem of
     Sunos?  Is there a fix?

  2. Sometimes when I try to connect to nntpcache with emacs/gnus,
     gnus protests about `Options'.  I'm not sure if this is an
     nntpcache problem or the version and configuration of gnus we're
     using.  Restarting gnus usually gets past the problem.

  3. We get log entires like the following:

     Oct 13 07:01:21 auda /usr/local/bin/nntpcached[22982]: nntpcache.c:987:\
     No such file or directory: client disconnected before QUIT

     Any idea why or what they mean?

  4. Last night, nntpcache mysteriously died, leaving no log trace.
     Is there a way to determine why?  Is this a known problem?

  5. Finally, can nntpcache be run from inetd?  Is this a bad idea?

Thanks in advance for any help or experiences you can pass along by
email.  So far, I am favorably impressed with the cleverness and
implementation of the package.  Seems like a splendid news solution
for a small site like ours with a slow (28.8kb) dialup feed.

--

   Ronald Florence		Maple Lawn Farm, Stonington, CT
   ron@mlfarm.com		http://www.connix.com/~mlfarm