Re: NNTPC: Performance

Hi!

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Chris Picton wrote:

> I'm runnning into a bit of a problem on our nntpcache machine
>
> The main nntpcache process seems to stay at about 90% cpu usage (PII 350)
>
> I am beginning to suspect the disk drives as causing a bottleneck here.
>
> I have a 35 Gig spool for the news articles mounted on
> /usr/local/var/nntpcache.

How many users have you got? total & simultaneous..

I don't know what OS you're using. If you're using Linux 2.4, switching to
ReiserFS might help for those article directories with multitudes of
files.

> In nntpcache.config, I have cacheDir set to /usr/local/var/nntpcache/
>
> The history files are in /usr/local/var/nntpcache
> The cached news articles are in /usr/local/var/nntpcache/news.upstream.net.
>
> If I were to change the history file to be on a different scsi disk, would
> this improve my performance?

A different spindle would help, so would RAID.. I can't say I've seen
nntpcache chew up tremendous disk on the systems I have run it on.

> eg set historyFile to /usr/local/var/nntpcache/history/cache.history, and
> mount another scsi on /usr/local/var/nntpcache/history.
>
> Would there be any other reason for nntpcached to be using so much cpu?

NoCEM? If NoCEM's on, definitely turn it off! :-)

Cheers,
Peter.

--
Until I loved, life had no beauty;
I did not know I lived until I had loved. (Theodor Korner)