Re: NNTPC: Some bugs, whatnot...

Michael Wilkinson [mike@cache.net] wrote:
> Thanks, that's what I should have done in the first place. Yes it seems
> my upstream does not allow POST, it only allows IHAVE and TAKETHIS.
> Is there are way I can set up NNTPcache to do IHAVE instead of POST?
> I noticed the ihave.c in there, and where you can add 'ihave' to the
> permissions in nntpcache.access, but how do you actually configure it?

OK, I've already written some patches that allow this.  I don't like them
much but unfortunately I haven't got the time to play with fun stuff at
the moment, I'm too busy doing boring stuff for the accounting department.

The caveats are: it doesn't do anything other than IHAVE.  If your
upstream won't handle moderated articles then they'll go into the
bitbucket.  Probably silently (eg Cyclone).  It uses a connection
per user, there's no queueing of upstream articles.  It seems to
use quite a lot of CPU when articles are being posted.

I'm definitely not sure about supplying a functionality patch to non
open software without the developer having had a look at it.

On the other hand, I'd really appreciate other people being able
to fix and add to what I've done.

I've sent the patches to Julian a while back but haven't heard back
from him so I think he's probably busy (I know that feeling).

Julian?

Faye

--
Faye Pearson,
Software Development Manager,

Your motives for doing whatever good deed you may have in mind will be
misinterpreted by somebody.