Some bugs, whatnot...

Greetings from CacheNET and Utah!

I'm a new user to NNTPcache, it's a great program...

I've set up NNTPcache server V2.4.0b5 on Solaris 2.7 and here's some
bugs/issues/features that I've found:

1. In the configure script Linux pam authentication is detected on Solaris 7,
this is because Solaris 7 has the pam library, however, it will not
compile this way, there are some functions that Linux pam has and
Solaris pam does not. I removed it from my copy of configure to bypass
the Linux pam detection.

2. libproff doesn't compile because it can't find err.h, I tried Solaris'
sys/err.h, however, that doesn't work. The warnx function is just not
on Solaris. I had to download Kragen's err.h and err.c, add them to the
Makefile, and recompile. It seems to work fine.

3. tin does not work with NNTPcache (I tried tin v1.3) because the authinfo
command (without an arguement) does not return a code. Tin uses the authinfo
command without an arguement to see if the server it's contacting supports
authinfo. In the function CMDauthinfo in src/authinfo.c I changed the lines:

     if (cmd[0] == '\0')
          return FALSE;

to:

     if (cmd[0] == '\0')
     {
          emitrn ("350 Continue with authorization sequence");
          return FALSE;
     }

And NNTPcache now seems to work fine with tin.

I do have a bit of a problem I was hoping y'all could help me resolve:

When I try to post to NNTPcache I get a "441 Posting failed error", when I
do a snoop on the connection NNTPcache is responding with "441 No servers
accepted article". I've only got one server defined in nntpcache.servers
and this is happening with tin, Outlook, and Netscape. This also happens
when using NNTPcache V2.3.3. Does anyone have any advice on how I may
troubleshoot this further?

Anyway, it looks like NNTPcache is shaping up to be a great peice of
software. It seems to be just what I need, kudos!

Thanks,
-Mike

--
Michael F. Wilkinson