AUTHINFO help

Hullo, just installed 2.4.0b5, and am not having much luck with
AUTHINFO...

My nntpconfig.access file contains the following single line only:

*                       *               read,auth=user/pass;passwd

I'm then telneting to the relevant box from another network on port 119,
and just manually typing AUTHINFO USER news and AUTHINFO PASS
blahblahblah, which I see appearing in syslog OK, but the authentication
is rejected...

This user does exist because I can login via FTP using the same
credentials.

nntpcached is running as root at the moment so there shouldn't be any
problem with shadow passwords...

Can anyone provide any guidance?

I'm using Debian woody on i386, kernel 2.2.17, glibc 2.2, gcc 2.95.2
20000220 (I compiled the source manually because Debian's packages only go
up to nntpcache 2.3)

Kind regards,

Gavin Hamill.