Re: NNTPC: process hangs

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Thomas Ammermann wrote:

> I am currently evaluating nntpcache 2.3.3. I configured and compiled the sources
> without any errors on my Linux-machine (x86 with SuSE 6.3).
>
> In the config files I told the server to pick cache news from one single
> newsserver, i gave access rights to everyone and i turned off nocem.

Same here apart from the nocem bit :)

> When I start nntpcached I can see two processes (one waiting for requests on
> port 119, the other one merging information from the specified newsserver).
> After a while the second process disappears (probably because it is ready), and
> I try to pick up the cached news with my Netscape Messenger client. But I keep
> getting the message "initial server rebuild in progress (xxx groups complete),
> please try again later".

How long have you left it doing this... I am fairly sure that when I
initially started nntpcached that there was only one process during the
build of the cache, and otherones only appeared when there were
connections made..

Ah! A thought has just come to me! :)

I had a similar situation of it just seeming to sit there, make sure that
it has write permissions to the cache directory... try creating files in
there yourself as the user nntpcached is running as or just cheat and set
the permissions to the directories as 777 :)  (not exactly secure but
normally gets results).  Is the cache local to the machines or a remote
nfs mount?

> Can anyone tell me, what's wrong with my server ?

It's running on a computer, thats ALWAYS a source of problems.. bloody
pedantic things that they are :)

Hope thats of some use

Graeme