Re: NNTPC: newshound help please

On 1 Jul 2000, Julian Assange wrote:

> Graeme Hinchliffe <graeme@u-net.net> writes:
>
> > Hiya
> > 	I am currently charged with the duty of setting up nntp cache to
> > try and offload some of the work from our primary news server.  Whilst the
> > drives are being formated and the machine is installing Solaris, I have
> > setup nntpcache on my desktop PC so I can get a feel for it, and have a
> > play :)
> >
> > 	However I am having problems running newshound... I have copied
> > the newshound.conf file into /etc and when I come to run the program
> > itself I just get the responce of :
> >
> > Problem with configuration file /etc/newshound.conf
> >
> > I have compiled the program into /opt/nntpcache
> >
> > can anyone suggest why this is happening?
>
> It's probably not worth using newshound if you have a heavily loaded server,
> as groups will be read with sufficient frequency such that delays in pulling
> in news articles will not be significant for individual users.

True, but all the same I would like to be able to use the program, the
server is more heavily loaded with constant incomming feed, so we are
looking at using nntpcache to take clients off the news server all
together, so that in future we might be able to get rid of our news server
all together and just feed directly from our Main news feed but only the
groups that are being used.

Our main consern at present is the constant 8Mb/s of bandwidth that server
is using and most of this is on wasted data that no-one looks at, we want
to just pull up the groups that are being used, yet provide a full
newsfeed.  Newshound and nntpcache seem the best solution at present.

If anyone can help  It'd be ace... plus I hate niggly likkle things not
working 100%

Thanks for your responce

Graeme