Re: NNTPC: Query Re: Multiplexing Implementation

Sorry about my recent post which made no sense. I will attempt to rephrase:

I have questions concerning nntpcache's multiplexing implementation. I was
unable to find the answer by doing a web-search or looking through the
documentation in the latest beta distribution tar.

How does nntpcache deal with multiple servers with similar content?

I'm especially interested in how it deals with servers that have varying
levels of article retention, different sets of missing articles, varying IP
latency & different "costs".

To be more specific on the topic of different "costs":
I'm wondering if it can be taught to merge the offerings of many low grade
cheaper news servers (such as those which are available at local ISPs)
and top up using several premium news services which have per Meg costs.

Does it attempt to do load balancing among the servers?

Ideally, I'm looking for a multiplexing solution which will dynamically
select the best server from which to download a given article.

Does nntpcache do this? I've RTFM but my question seems to be too specific.

I'm basically looking for the features of Newsplex by Adam Mirowski in a
Linux server based solution. Unfortunately, Mr. Mirowski seems to have
dropped of the face of the net and his free-ware package does not include
source.

Newsplex:

"It always uses the best server for requesting an article among those who
have it, and uses one of the other servers if the best one could not deliver
the article. Servers are rated dynamically according to speed, latency, and
availability."

Here is a review and download page for Newsplex if you want to read more:
http://www.softseek.com/Internet/Newsgroup_Readers_and_Tools/Review_27445_index.html

Regards,
Rob

--
----------------"Linux the choice of a GNU Generation!"-----------------
Robert Hardy                                          C.E.O. Webcon Inc.