Error: Too many open files

I'm using nntpcache 2.4.0b3 on an HP-UX system. Occasionally, I'll see the
following in our log file:

  group.c:421:Too many open files: printListgroup : opendir('.') failed

When this happens, it causes the .listgroup file for a particular group
to be zeroed out. If you then access that group with the tin newsreader,
it will show that there are 0 articles in that group.

My workaround has been to delete these zero-length .listgroup files and
let nntpcache rebuild it the next time that tin tries to access that group.

Has anyone seen this error before and possibly have a fix for it?

Thanks.

Bruce

 | Bruce Hauge                                                    |
 | AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES            EMAIL: bruce_hauge@agilent.com |
 | Imaging Electronics Division    PHONE: (541) 715-2675          |
 | 1000 NE Circle Blvd., MS: 133A  FAX: (541) 715-8930            |
 | Corvallis, OR  97330                                           |