newbie: can nntpcache concentrate sessions?

Folks,

I just subscribed to this mailing list.  I didn't see this in the
FAQ, but perhaps I missed it.  Let me know if this isn't appropriate.

I'm trying to understand what NNTPcache is and what it can do.
I can see how it can reduce network traffic and server load by serving
requests from cache, but can it also reduce connection load on the
server?

Let's say I've got a news server that can handle 1000-1500
simultaneous connections.  Let's say it is a big box with plenty of
cpu and LOTs of disk.  Let's say that the only resource I seem to be
running out of is the ability for the news server to accept/maintain
that many simultaneous connections.  If I want to scale my news
service to 2000-3000 simultaneous connections, I can go out and buy
another big box with another big set of disk, but that would be
expensive.

Let's say I'd like to get more bang for my buck.  Can I run NNTPcache
on a bunch of smaller machines and have it concentrate connections back
to the news server?  I know that it will cut down on traffic and load
to the server, but that doesn't seem to be my problem.  Can it also
concentrate reader sessions (by multiplexing them over a smaller number
of connections to the news server)?

That is, with 4 front end machines accepting connections from 1000-1500
readers each, could each front end machine only open 250-375 connections
to the back-end machine?

	Dave
--
Dave Jenkins - dj@wnmail.att.com