Re: NNTPC: How many connections per server?

On 26 Jan 2000, Julian Assange wrote:

> Simon Lyall <simon.lyall@ihug.co.nz> writes:
>
> > Just wondering how many connections at once people are managing to support
> > per box?
> >
> > Currently most of mine are at smaller pops so I only have 50 odd people
> > accessing at once. However I have thinking of putting in a nntpcached
> > server in some of my larger pops. Are people managing to handle 200 - 500
> > connections on a single box okay?
> >
> > OS would be Linux or Solaris.
>
> Some large ISPs are supporting 500 concurrent connections fine. There seems
> to be a bug with nntpcache + linux + a large number of users -- at least
> for 2.3.3 which results in the server crashing (cleanly at least)
> every few days. I'm not sure if this behavior is evident in 2.4.x. Anyone?
>
> Cheers,
> Julian.

  Well, one old bug that still remains is the stuck child problem (seen in
2.3.3 through to 2.4B1).  Our nntpcached system accumulates child that
never go away.  I see this under FreeBSD, but there has been another
poster that see it under Solaris too.

  If this bug strikes you, on large systems it just accumulates stuck
children more quickly.

Tom