HELP! New 2.4 Beta hangs up during rebuild

It's quite strange: 503 failing server rebuild in progress (2317
groups complete, at least 683 groups to go. Please try again later.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Always "2317 groups", even if I delete all the files in
/usr/local/var/nntpcached and rebuild from scratch: It restarts again
from zero, and halts at 2317.  The HTTP server shows no signs of
anything wrong, there are no 119 packets over the network, but no
clients are permitted to connect and they all get the identical 503
error message.  All signals to the process cause the expected behaviour,
and the only ill effect appears to be that I cannot connect due to this
503 (i.e. it is not an access error).

If anyone has any debugging tips on this, please let me know.  I've
tried SIGINT, but that doesn't give any clues.  It only shows the
usual checking of active servers and then a normal client task
retiring; if it helps, I am using Linux 2.2.12 and Mandrake 6.1, and
my installation is pretty much identical to the working nntpcached
2.3.3 with the exception of those config directives which were
rejected such as the several s/min(.*)/min\1Percent/ swaps.

I don't know if I am subscribed to the list or not: I was reading via
the nntpcached newsgroups but haven't been able to connect with those
for months and presumed them defunct; the recent announcment of a new
beta was actually a bit of a shock ;)   Hopefully if I am not on the
list, this will get to an admin who can forward it appropriately.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@canada.com>  TeleDynamics Communications Inc
Business Telecom Services : Internet Consulting : http://www.teledyn.com