How many connections per server?

Just wondering how many connections at once people are managing to support
per box?

Currently most of mine are at smaller pops so I only have 50 odd people
accessing at once. However I have thinking of putting in a nntpcached
server in some of my larger pops. Are people managing to handle 200 - 500
connections on a single box okay?

OS would be Linux or Solaris.

--
Simon Lyall.              |    Newsmaster   | Work: simon.lyall@ihug.co.nz