Silently into the night?

So, I download, compile, setup, etc nntpcache, and go to run it...

# nntpcached
NNTPCache-2.3.3 (c) 1996-1998 Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
                (c) 1996-1997 Luke Bowker <puke@suburbia.net>
                See the file "COPYING", "FAQ", "LICENSING" or
                http://www.nntpcache.org for copyright details

That's it.  There's nothing to be found in `ps auxw` (it's linux 2.2.12,
by the way), no mention of anything in the logs (unless they're hiding),
and no response on the ports it's supposed to be listening on.

(I tried `-i`, which it wouldn't take but listed the suggested parameters,
which leave the hyphen off, but that gave the same result as above.  I
also tried `-n`, which causes a coredump, and `n` which gives the same
result as above.)

So...any ideas?

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur