NNTPC: nntpcache has stopped!

Hiya good people.

I've had a very weird thing happen with nntpcache. It stopped running on our
slackware box last night, and is refusing to start up again. Everything
looks normal, no files have been altered, but the process is not running and
there is NO debug information being passed to syslog other than:

    syslog: clean shutdown with error 1. dumping core for debug analysis

I've modified to nntpcache.config file to include:

    logDebug                yes
    logInfo                 yes
    logWarnings             yes
    logErrors               yes

But there is nothing logged that is offering any help.

Anyone know about this? Any help would be really appreciated!!!

Oh, its VERSION file contains 2.3.1 (dunno how recent it is, we just paid
the money, got it running and forgot about it).

Many thanks
Anthony