Re: cache nuking

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 proff@suburbia.net wrote:

> The stats file has a version id which is designed to prevent problems
> with upgrades to the stats structures.

I don't like doing that with betas because sometimes things are changed
and the changes aren't advertised :-)

I've also seen a lot of wonky behaviour that seems to be fixed by nuking
various things, and newfs is just a lot faster than rm when lots of files
need to be removed :-)

I had some particularly wonky behaviour last night, which turned out to be
supernews' fault and not nntpcache :-) so I nuked the spool.  When I
started it back up, I checked the stats, and I was still seeing the same
problems.  You can check <http://news.synapse.net:9119/> and you'll see
the really out-of-whack numbers on certain things.  Remember that the
cache has been running for under a day when you consider the validity of
the numbers.

Evan