Re: Expiration (was NNTPC: 2 servers for 1 group)

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Alan Brown wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Tom wrote:
>
> >   Really?  I run between 14.5 to 12GB of cached material, and I don't
> > even notice expiration.
>
> I run 8Gb, striped across 2 Barracudas, with a separate spindle for
> the cache.* files. When it expires the thing refuses to serve news
> for several hours at a time.

  I run a 4 x 4GB filesystem.  I can't tell when it expires.  Really.  I
can see the expiration process in action once in a while, but connections
are definitely still accepted.

  According to the new stats stuff, nntpcache has spent 27m of real time
expiring since Aug 14 (when I reset the statistics).  During that time,
140,000 articles, and 1600 xovers were expired.

> How big is your cache.history file?

  About 30GB.  I let the cache area fill, and I ended up with about a 25GB
history file, so I didn't think it worthwhile to store more message-IDs.
nntpcache seems to be keeping the cache.history file under control quite
nicely, as I've never even caught it in the act of doing this.

  Also, expiration of cache.history is separate from expiration of
articles (and xover material).

> AB

Tom