Re: NNTPC: 2 servers for 1 group

On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Evan Champion wrote:

> >  Really?  I run between 14.5 to 12GB of cached material, and I don't
> >even notice expiration.
>
> I'm running a 4 GB spool and had to set my expiry time to 24h because

  "expiry time"?  What is that exactly?

  There is only key expiration settings:  maxArtAge.  Most likely you have
your maxArtAge set too high.  You should probably have maxArtAge set to
about 34 hours (my estimate based on which server you cache from, and a
guess at the size of your reader population).

  Lots of people confuse the "timeout" values in nntpcache.servers as
having something to do with expiration.  They don't.  These "timeout"
values are probably better referred to as "time-to-live" values.

  Expiration in nntpcache is very different from INN (or any other news
server).  Every expireCheckPeriod, nntpcache checks if cache space is less
than minFilesFree or minBlocksFree.  If it is, nntpcache removes all items
from the cache older than maxArtAge.

> otherwise the drive would fill and nntpcache wouldn't expire it.  This
> leaves the drive usually 1/4 emtpy, but during busy times I sometimes have
> to clean by hand to keep the drive from filling.

  I don't think you have proper expiration settings for your system.
Expiration should be transparent.

Tom