Re: NNTPC: improved lo/hi behaviour

On Sun, Jul 26, 1998 at 09:43:23AM -0400, Evan Champion wrote:

> Just to share with everyone else (I have discussed it with Tom), here is the
> problem:
>
> 1.  nuke xover cache
> 2.  type:
>     # script
>     # telnet localhost nntp
>     group alt.binaries.warez.ibm-pc
>     xover lowmark-himark [as returned by group]
>     quit
>     # exit
> 3.  Do wc -l on typescript (file created by script) to give an approximate
> number of articles returned by xover; compare to the number that group
> reported.
>
> 4.  wait a few minutes, and repeat 2 and 3.  After a while, you will find
> xover returned only a small fraction of the actual number of articles in the
> group (in my case, it goes from 40K down to sub-10K articles).  If you nuke
> the xover cache again, the problem will be resolved (for another few
> minutes, until the cycle repeats).

Can you please locate the missing xover range and see what value is in the
header of the relevant _xover files?

The xover code do need patching because currently you can fetch an article
without creating the relevant xover header.  I'm currently writing the code
to get xover info from articles when necessary as you may have more articles
than the remote server.