Re: NNTPC: XOVER probs

On 13 May 1998, Hugo Embrechts wrote:

> I think the missing articles are canceled articles. When the xover of an
> article is cached and the article is canceled afterwards, an xover line
> for this article will be sent until it falls out of the active range
> of articles.
>
> This is inherent to caching. But is indeed ugly.

It's not just inherent to caching. Xover information is not removed
from INN servers when articles are cancelled. The performance hit
of rewriting the .overview files would bring 90% of the net's INN
servers to their collective knees, patricularly with cancel volumes
we've been seeing over the last 6 months.

AB