XOVER probs

I have this problem where nntpcache (NNTPcache server V2.3.2.1 on Linux)
will return the CORRECT values to a LISTGROUP command but not to an XOVER
command.

Readers such as tin and ANU news (Vaxen) do not see the problem - I assume
they use LISTGROUP and then HEADER <num> on each number output by
LISTGROUP which will always give you valid headers.

However netscape, freeagent, krn (and others I'd bet) all use XOVER (I
believe) and, indeed, when I telnet to the server on port 119 I get bogus
results from XOVER.  Consequently these newsreaders give a list of
headers, some of which just report "Bad article number" when you attempt
to read them.  This is bad and looks bad. It seems that expire/resync is
not happening even though I "kill -USR[12]"  the process to attempt to
force the issue.

I am not sure if this is a bug or my possible misunderstanding of the
nntpcache.servers file.  I have only 1 nntp server from which nntpcache
feeds and the line in nntpcache.servers looks like this:

my.news.feeder DEFAULT   4h      24h     2d      30m     2d 2d

I originally had the last 2 figures (XOVER and ART I believe) at 60d (just
copied from the examples) but have changed them to 2d to try to stop the
problem.  At any rate, since all values are now no bigger than 2d I would
expect that this means that no articles or headers can be allowed to live
longer than this.  But, for example, I started the server last Thursday
(April 30) and it still has a message from that time in there, and it
reports this article's number when a GROUP command is used to go to that
group!

So I am really confused both by the lack of docs on the nntpcache.servers
file and the apparent errors with XOVER........

Anyone can help me here?  TIA,

Richard Shepherd (richards@waikato.ac.nz)