Re: NNTPC: problem starting

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> There were some fairly substantial changes that occur in 2.0.30 that were
> not fully fixed in 2.0.31 or 2.0.32. 2.0.33 is better, but I've still found
> 2.0.29 to be even more reliable.

Unfortunately 2.0.29 is also susceptable to LAND, TCP frag and a
few other minor attacks whcih can hang the box.

> I don't know that you see many funnies specific to nntpcache. Most likely
> though it will just trash kernel buffers from time to time, especially if
> you get `tear-dropped' or random lockups, especially under high load.

Losing the network card and/or suddenyl having ping times across
the ethernet jump to > 900ms spring to mind under 2.0.29

> Persoanlly, I'm getting rather sick of hacing to find workarounds and fixes
> for all the shitty broken MacOS and Windows software out there written by
> people who obviously don't pay much attention to the specs, SMTP is by far
> the worst.

<rant> I've just discovered that MicroShaft want serious amounts of
money to "upgrade" from Exchange 5.0 to Exchange 5.5 - there is no
way whatsoever that Exchange 5.0 can be configured to prevent
unauthorised SMTP relaying and M$ are still supplying 5.0 as the
standard mailserver in the NT small business server. I have 4
clients who want permanent connections and plan to use Exchange 5.0
as their mailserver. It's simply a matter of time before spammers
find and abuse their smtp ports. </rant>

Anyone remember their slovenly response to NT newsservers reinjecting
thousands of old Usenet articles with new message-IDs in 1996?

AB