Problems with 2.3.2

I seem to be having problems with 2.3.2 that have
been reflected by others in the list.

When I start nntpcached it spawns an update process
which says it's getting overview.fmt from the server.
(If I put two servers into the .servers file it only
talks to one).

This is the last I hear of the update task, and `ps ax`
shows it to have terminated.

At this point connecting to the port and performing a
"list" will sometimes give me a list of the groups
available on the server, but only if it's the local
server I've set up on port 8119.  It has never managed
to fetch an active file from my ISP, instead reports
and empty active list.

The client when connected seems to either exit or hang,
causing either an error on the reader, or the reader
to hang until manual intervention.

I'm wondering if it's the glibc I'm using.

Linux-2.0.33
Gcc-2.8.0
glibc-2.0.6 (libc-6.0 for linux)

There is a section in the glibc documentation about the
old linux libc-5 using sys-V style signal() operation wheras
glibc uses the BSD style setup.  I've tried the modification
to solve the problem, but it seems to make no difference.

Where do I start to debug this thing.  My news system if
off line until I get it sorted out, and I'd realy like
to avoid having to go back to 1.9