STATEMENT ON NIH PLANS TO SPEED ACCESS TO FEDERALLY FUNDED RESEARCH RESULTS

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH NIH News

NIH Office of the Director (OD) <https://www.nih.gov/institutes-nih/nih-office-director>

For Immediate Release: August 25, 2022

CONTACT: NIH Office of Communications, 301-496-5787, <e-mail:nmb@xxxxxxxxxx>

STATEMENT ON NIH PLANS TO SPEED ACCESS TO FEDERALLY FUNDED RESEARCH RESULTS

Today, the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) issued updated policy guidance(https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/news-updates/2022/08/25/ostp-issues-guidance-to-make-federally-funded-research-freely-available-without-delay/) directing federal agencies to expedite access to results of federally funded research. NIH has long championed principles of transparency and accessibility in NIH-funded research and supports this important step by the Biden Administration.

Over the coming months, NIH will work expeditiously to develop and share its plans for implementing the OSTP policy guidance. NIH intends to work with interagency partners and stakeholders to revise its current Public Access Policy <https://publicaccess.nih.gov/policy.htm>to enable researchers, clinicians, students, and the public to access NIH research results immediately upon publication. I am pleased to report that NIH’s efforts to maximize access to scientific data are already underway through implementation of the new NIH Policy for Data Management and Sharing (DMS Policy) < https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-21-013.html>, which takes effect on January 25, 2023. Through the DMS Policy, NIH clearly articulates that sharing scientific data is fundamental to accelerating biomedical research discovery. Our DMS Policy implementation efforts continue, and I encourage you to visit <sharing.nih.gov> for the latest updates and resources that NIH has developed to support our community of researchers and institutions.

We are enthusiastic to move forward on these important efforts to make research results more accessible and look forward to working together to strengthen our shared responsibility in making federally funded research results accessible to the public.

Resources:

--OSTP Updates to Policy Guidance on Increasing Equitable Access to Federally Funded Research Results(https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/news-updates/2022/08/25/ostp-issues-guidance-to-make-federally-funded-research-freely-available-without-delay/

--NIH Public Access Policy (http://publicaccess.nih.gov/policy.htm)

--NIH Policy for Data Management and Sharing (http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-21-013.html)

--Sharing.nih.gov (http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-21-013.html)

Lawrence A. Tabak, D.D.S., Ph.D.

Performing the Duties of the NIH Director

About the National Institutes of Health (NIH): NIH, the nation's medical research agency, includes 27 Institutes and Centers and is a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. NIH is the primary federal agency conducting and supporting basic, clinical, and translational medical research, and is investigating the causes, treatments, and cures for both common and rare diseases. For more information about NIH and its programs, visit <www.nih.gov>.

NIH...Turning Discovery into Health -- Registered, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office

###

This Statement is available online at:

<https://www.nih.gov/about-nih/who-we-are/nih-director/statements/statement-nih-plans-speed-access-federally-funded-research-results>

To subscribe (or unsubscribe) from NIH News Release mailings, go to

<http://service.govdelivery.com/service/subscribe.html?code=USNIH_1>.

If you subscribed via the NIH LISTSERV, go to <https://list.nih.gov/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A0=nihpress>.