STATEMENT ON THE PASSING OF CONGRESSMAN LOUIS STOKES

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH NIH News
NIH Office of the Director (OD) <http://www.nih.gov/icd/od/>
For Immediate Release: Wednesday, August 19, 2015

CONTACT: NIH Office of Communications, 301-496-5787, <e-mail:nmb@xxxxxxxxxx>

STATEMENT ON THE PASSING OF CONGRESSMAN LOUIS STOKES

August 19, 2015

I am deeply saddened by the news of the death of former Congressman Louis Stokes. He leaves a legacy of compassionate and effective leadership that few can match. Throughout his 30-year career as a representative from Ohio, he was a persistent and emphatic champion of extending the benefits of biomedical research to all people, especially in the area of health disparities.

In June 2001, NIH dedicated Building 50 as the Louis Stokes Laboratories. In March 2013, we were honored to have Congressman Stokes attend a ceremony to unveil his portrait, which hangs in the lobby. My own laboratory is on the fifth floor of this building, and I am reminded of his legacy every time I go over to the lab.

I extend my sincere condolences to Congressman Stokes’ entire family.

Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D.
Director, National Institutes of Health

About the National Institutes of Health (NIH): NIH, the nation's medical research agency, includes 27 Institutes and Centers and is a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. NIH is the primary federal agency conducting and supporting basic, clinical, and translational medical research, and is investigating the causes, treatments, and cures for both common and rare diseases. For more information about NIH and its programs, visit <www.nih.gov>.

NIH...Turning Discovery into Health -- Registered, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
---
The online version of this Directors Statement contains an image of Louis Stokes' portrait unveiling ceremony <http://www.nih.gov/about/director/images/08192015-stokes-portrait-unveiling-hires.jpg>
and an image of the plaque dedicating Building 50 as the Louis Stokes Laboratories <http://www.nih.gov/about/director/images/08192015-stokes-building-dedication-hires.jpg>
###
This NIH Director's Statement is available online at:
<http://www.nih.gov/about/director/08192015_statement_stokes.htm>

To subscribe (or unsubscribe) from NIH News Release mailings, go to
<http://service.govdelivery.com/service/subscribe.html?code=USNIH_1>.
If you subscribed via the NIH LISTSERV, go to <https://list.nih.gov/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A0=nihpress>.