NIH STATEMENT REGARDING STAY OF STEM CELL INJUNCTION

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH NIH News
For Immediate Release: Friday, September 10, 2010

CONTACT: NIH Office of Communications and Public Liaison, 301-496-5787

NIH STATEMENT REGARDING STAY OF STEM CELL INJUNCTION

"We are pleased with the Court's interim ruling, which will allow promising stem cell research to continue while we present further arguments to the Court in the weeks to come. With the temporary stay in place, NIH has resumed intramural research and will continue its consideration of grants that were frozen by the preliminary injunction on August 23. The suspension of all grants, contracts, and applications that involve the use of human embryonic stem cells has been temporarily lifted. Human embryonic stem cell research holds the potential for generating profound new insights into disease, cell-based therapeutics, and novel methods of screening for new drugs."

##

This Statement is available online at:
<http://www.nih.gov/news/09102010_stemcell_statement.htm>.

To subscribe (or unsubscribe) from this list, go to
<http://service.govdelivery.com/service/subscribe.html?code=USNIH_1>.