RESEARCHERS REPORT INITIAL SUCCESS IN PROMISING APPROACH TO PREVENT TOOTH DECAY

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
NIH News
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR)
<http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/>

EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE: Monday, October 23, 2006, 12:00 p.m.(Noon)ET

CONTACT: Bob Kuska, 301-594-7560, <kuskar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

RESEARCHERS REPORT INITIAL SUCCESS IN PROMISING APPROACH TO PREVENT
TOOTH DECAY

Preventing cavities could one day involve the dental equivalent of a
military surgical strike.  A team of researchers supported by the
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research report they have
created a new smart anti-microbial treatment that can be chemically
programmed in the laboratory to seek out and kill a specific
cavity-causing species of bacteria, leaving the good bacteria untouched.

The experimental treatment, reported online in the journal
"Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy," is called a STAMP.  The acronym
stands for "specifically targeted antimicrobial peptides" and, like its
postal namesake, STAMPs have a two-sided structure.  The first is the
short homing sequence of a pheromone, a signaling chemical that can be
as unique as a fingerprint to a bacterium and assures the STAMP will
find its target.  The second is a small anti-microbial bomb that is
chemically linked to the homing sequence and kills the bacterium upon
delivery.

While scientists have succeeded in the past in targeting specific
bacteria in the laboratory, this report is unique because of the STAMPs
themselves.  They generally consist of less than 25 amino acids, a
relative pipsqueak compared to the bulky, bacteria-seeking antibodies
that have fascinated scientists for years.  Because of their streamlined
design, STAMPs also can be efficiently and rapidly produced on automated
solid-phase chemistry machines designed to synthesize small molecules
under 100 amino acids, called peptides.

The first-generation STAMPs also proved extremely effective in the
initial laboratory work.   As reported in this month's paper, the
scientists found they could eliminate the cavity-associated oral
bacterium Steptococcus mutans within 30 seconds from an oral biofilm
without any collateral damage to related but non pathogenic species
attached nearby.  Biofilms are complex, multi-layered microbial
communities that routinely form on our teeth and organs throughout the
body.  According to one estimate, biofilms may be involved to varying
degrees in up to 80 percent of human infections.

"We've already moved the S. mutans STAMP into human studies, where it
can be applied as part of a paste or mouthrinse," said Dr.  Wenyuan Shi,
senior author on the paper and a scientist at the University of
California at Los Angeles School of Dentistry.  "We're also developing
other dental STAMPs that target the specific oral microbes involved in
periodontal disease and possibly even halitosis.  Thereafter, we hope to
pursue possible medical applications of this technology."

Shi said his group's work on a targeted dental therapy began about eight
years ago with the recognition that everyday dental care had reached a
crossroads.  "The standard way to combat bacterial infections is through
vaccination, antibiotics, and/or hygienic care," said Shi.  "They
represent three of the greatest public-health discoveries of the 20th
century, but each has its limitations in the mouth.  Take vaccination.
We can generate antibodies in the blood against S. mutans.  But in the
mouth, where S. mutans lives and our innate immunity is much weaker,
generating a strong immune response has been challenging."

According to Shi, a major limitation of antibiotics and standard dental
hygiene is their lack of selectivity. "At least 700 bacterial species
are now known to inhabit the mouth," said Shi.  "The good bacteria are
mixed in with the bad ones, and our current treatments simply clear
everything away.  That can be a problem because we have data to show
that the pathogens grow back first.  They're extremely competitive, and
that's what makes them pathogenic."

To illustrate this point, Shi offered an analogy.  "Think of a lawn
infested with dandelions," he said.  "If you use a general herbicide and
kill everything there, the dandelions will come back first.  But if you
use a dandelion-specific killer and let the grass fill in the lawn, the
dandelions won't come back."

Hoping to solve the selectivity issue, Shi and his colleagues began
attaching toxins to the homing region of antibodies.  They borrowed the
concept from immunotherapy, an area of cancer research in which
toxin-toting antibodies are programmed to kill tumor cells and leave the
nearby normal cells alone.

Despite some success in killing specific bacteria in the oral biofilm,
Shi said his group soon encountered the same technical difficulty that
cancer researchers initially ran into with immunotherapy.  Their
targeting antibodies were large and bulky, making them unstable,
therapeutically inefficient, and expensive to produce.  "That's when we
decided to get higher tech," said Dr. Randal Eckert, a UCLA scientist
and lead author on the study.

Or, as Eckert noted, that's when they turned to the power of genomics,
or the comparative study of DNA among species.  Eckert and colleagues
clicked onto an online database that contains the complete DNA sequence
of S. mutans.  They identified a 21-peptide pheromone called "competence
stimulating peptide," or CSP, that was specific to the bacterium.  From
there, they typed instructions into an automated solid-phase chemistry
machine to synthesize at once the full-length CSP and a 16-peptide
anti-microbial sequence, and out came their first batch of STAMPs.

After some trial and error, Eckert said he and his colleagues decided
"to get even shorter."  They ultimately generated a STAMP with the same
anti-microbial agent but with a signature eight-peptide CSP sequence to
target S. mutans.  "We pooled saliva from five people and created an
oral biofilm in the laboratory that included a couple hundred species of
bacteria," said Eckert.  "We applied the STAMP, and it took only about
30 seconds to eliminate the S. mutans in the mixture, while leaving the
other bacteria in tact."

As dentists sometimes wonder, what would happen if S. mutans is
eliminated from the oral biofilm?  Does another equally or more
destructive species fill its void, creating a new set of oral problems?
Shi said nature already provides a good answer.  "About 10 to 15 percent
of people don't have S. mutans in their biofilms, and they do just fine
without it," he said.  "Besides, S. mutans is not a dominant species in
the biofilm.  It only becomes a problem when we eat a lot of
carbohydrates."

Looking to the future, Shi said new STAMPs that seek out other
potentially harmful bacterial species could be generated in a matter of
days.  He said all that is needed is the full DNA sequence of a microbe,
a unique homing sequence from a pheromone, and an appropriate
anti-microbial peptide.  "We have a collection of anti-microbial
peptides that we usually screen the bacterium through first in the
laboratory," said Shi.  "We can employ the anti-microbial equivalent of
either a 2,000-ton bomb or a 200-pound bomb.  Our choice is usually
somewhere in the middle.  If the anti-microbial peptide is too strong,
it will also kill the surrounding bacteria, so we have to be very
careful."

This research also was supported by a University of California Discovery
Grant, Delta Dental of Washington, Delta Dental of Wisconsin, and C3
Jian Corporation.  The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial
Research is the nation's leading funder of research on oral, dental, and
craniofacial health. For more information, visit the Web site at
<http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/>.

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) -- "The Nation's Medical
Research Agency" -- includes 27 Institutes and Centers and is a
component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It is the
primary federal agency for conducting and supporting basic, clinical and
translational medical research, and it investigates the causes,
treatments, and cures for both common and rare diseases. For more
information about NIH and its programs, visit <http://www.nih.gov>.

##

This NIH News Release is available online at:
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/oct2006/nidcr-23.htm.

To subscribe (or unsubscribe) from this list, go to
http://list.nih.gov/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=nihpress&A=1.