STATEMENT OF ANTHONY S. FAUCI, M.D. DIRECTOR, NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ALLERGY AND INFECTIOUS DISEASES NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH ON NATIONAL LATINO AIDS AWARENESS DAY

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH
NIH News
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
<http://www.niaid.nih.gov/>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, October 11, 2006

CONTACT: Laurie Doepel, 301-402-1663, <doepel@xxxxxxx>

STATEMENT OF ANTHONY S. FAUCI, M.D. DIRECTOR, NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF
ALLERGY AND INFECTIOUS DISEASES NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH ON
NATIONAL LATINO AIDS AWARENESS DAY

October 15th is the 4th Annual National Latino AIDS Awareness Day, a day
to focus on the impact of HIV/AIDS in the Latino population and recommit
to working together to curb the devastating effects of HIV/AIDS in this
and other minority communities in the United States.

It is gratifying to know that national, regional, and local HIV/AIDS
community organizations, along with federal agencies, scientists,
activists, religious and community leaders, and people living with
HIV/AIDS are all working together to raise awareness and curb the
devastating effects of HIV/AIDS around the world. Today, we specifically
focus on the impact of HIV/AIDS on the Latino community, which has been
disproportionately affected by the HIV/AIDS pandemic.

Latinos comprise approximately 14 percent of the United States
population, yet from 1981 through 2004 they accounted for 19 percent of
all AIDS cases reported to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention. By the end of 2004, an estimated 93,000 Latinos with AIDS in
the United States had died. AIDS is the third leading cause of death for
Latinos ages 35 to 44 and the fourth leading cause of death among Latino
women in the same age group. Yet despite these alarming statistics, a
recent NIAID survey found that only 11 percent of Latinos cited HIV/AIDS
as the most urgent current health problem.*

A number of cultural, socioeconomic and health-related factors
contribute to the disproportionate burden of HIV/AIDS in the Latino
community. In addition to the language barrier, Latinos face a unique
set of challenges that can include poverty; immigration issues; a
cultural stigma against acknowledging risky behaviors; poor
understanding of HIV/AIDS; and lack of access to adequate and culturally
relevant healthcare.

To overcome these obstacles, Latinos and people from all walks of life
must be encouraged to learn more about HIV/AIDS and to get involved in
the fight to end this scourge. There are no easy solutions, but we must
not lose hope.

Collectively, we must do more to ensure that Latinos are educated about
both prevention and treatment clinical trials so they can make HIV/AIDS
research relevant to their community. We can and must do better in this
regard, as Latinos are underrepresented among participants in AIDS
clinical trials.

In particular, to ensure that an HIV vaccine works for everyone
regardless of their race, ethnicity or gender, all populations must
participate in the research process. Unfortunately, the NIAID survey
mentioned above found that Latinos had the lowest level of interest in
learning more about HIV vaccine research. To increase knowledge among
Latinos and others, the NIAID HIV Vaccine Research Education Initiative,
a new phase of the HIV Vaccine Communications Campaign, is partnering
with nonprofit community-based organizations and the NIAID HIV Vaccine
Trials Network to conduct HIV vaccine awareness and education activities
in the diverse communities they serve see
<http://www.bethegeneration.org/>.

It is our hope that as more Americans become better informed about
HIV/AIDS, they will support HIV vaccine research, and many will
volunteer for a trial. Twenty-two clinical trials of HIV vaccines are
under way, and to date, approximately 23,000 people have volunteered in
NIAID-supported HIV vaccine clinical studies. With another 12 promising
vaccine candidates in the pipeline, however, the need for more
volunteers, including Latinos, has never been greater. A safe and
effective vaccine to prevent HIV infection is our best hope to end the
global AIDS pandemic, and I urge Latinos to become involved in the
research effort.

As we test new treatment and prevention strategies, we should be proud
of the fact that we are making progress through collaboration and
partnership with the Latino community. I applaud the hard work and
support of the Latino community in fighting HIV/AIDS, and look forward
to continuing to work together to address the HIV/AIDS crisis that
affects us all.

Dr. Fauci is director of the National Institute of Allergy and
Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda,
Maryland.

NIAID is a component of the National Institutes of Health. NIAID
supports basic and applied research to prevent, diagnose and treat
infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted
infections, influenza, tuberculosis, malaria and illness from potential
agents of bioterrorism. NIAID also supports research on basic
immunology, transplantation and immune-related disorders, including
autoimmune diseases, asthma and allergies. Media inquiries can be
directed to the NIAID News and Public Information Branch at
301-402-1663, <http://niaidnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

The National Institutes of Health (NIH) -- The Nation's Medical Research
Agency -- includes 27 Institutes and Centers and is a component of the
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It is the primary federal
agency for conducting and supporting basic, clinical and translational
medical research, and it investigates the causes, treatments, and cures
for both common and rare diseases. For more information about NIH and
its programs, visit <www.nih.gov>.

##

REFERENCE:
*MA Allen et al. JAIDS 40:617, 2005