Re: Best approach to explore the linux source code

Well, if you really only want to find bugs in kernel code (specifically linux drivers) there was a recent white paper that came out that used Dynamo Rio to instrument and analyze the kernel. You can (I think) trigger simulated events to the kernel and compose a sort of fuzzing environment against any given kernel code.

The problem with Dynamo Rio is there's currently really no Pin++, so if you were to wish for something like a mature taint analysis or symbolic emulation (or whatever else...) facilities that you can embed within your own custom analyses it would be a costly manual labor operation.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 1:17 PM, <victorascroft@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 15-08-15 12:28:06, Umair Khan wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a final year undergraduate student. I've been spending a lot of
> time with OS books these days.
> I've been reading about the internals of the Linux kernel and drivers
> in the books. But, I've never really seen them in action except the
> drivers. Hacking a driver is easy.

Hacking a driver is easy? :)

> Is there any good approach/tutorial to walk me through the source code
> of the kernel ?

There is only one approach to understanding any code. Reading the code
and understanding how different things interact. If you have doubts
you can always ask here.

Read Linux Device Drivers? Though that will still not prepare you
for actual code. Eudyptula Challenge?

> Also, I'm using a self built linux kernel 4.2 on my laptop. Is there
> any way that I can contribute upstream to the kernel. I'm using 4.2 in
> the hope to find bugs in driver stuffs. I haven't found any yet.

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/SubmittingDrivers
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/SubmittingPatches

Just running the kernel might not always point out bugs.