Re: Achieve multi-threading in MIPS assembly

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 09:52:26PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 01:05:19 -0000, "Chaturvedi, Akash" said:
>
> > I am writing MIPS assembly code for a 'Word guessing game'.
>
> Why?
>
> gcc -O2 will almost certainly generate faster code than you can (unless you're
> *really* good at MIPS assembler, in which case you wouldn't have posted).

This is a common response to questions like this (questions asking
about assembly language).  Learning assembly can be fun.  When I read
this question, my first thought was 'cool, someone is learning assembly
language'.  Then I wondered how this is related to the topic of this list.

I see two camps.  One says don't bother to learn assembly because a compiler
is usually better.  The other says, learning assembly language will help
you be a better programming in general.

I have always been curious about assembly language.  Taking a few months
and writing a bunch of programs in assembly then seeing how others did
it was really an overall good thing.

Assembly language seemed like magic to me for many years.