Linked lists for userspace programs in Linux

Hi all,
I wanted to use linked lists in one of my userspace programs in Linux.
I tried two methods,

1. I used the modified version of list implementation given in http://isis.poly.edu/kulesh/stuff/src/klist/list.h for my userspace program. But when I compiled the kernel, there were errors showing 'redefinition of struct', 'conflicting types' etc.

2. When I tried to use list.h as such without any modifications, linked list functions in my userspace program were not identified by the compiler and displayed as undefined.

Would it be okay to modify the variable/function names in a copy of list.h and use it in the userspace program ?

Please advise. Thank you.

Regards,
chandru