Run a program when DP monitor is plugged in/out

Hi,

I want to run a program when DP monitor is plugged in/out.
My linux kernel ( 3.14.0-00348-gbfcbf45) gets an interrupt when DP cable is removed or inserted.
From the graphics driver interrupt handler I can differentiate the two events.

I want to run a user space program when this removal/insertion happens. What are the possible
ways to achieve this?

when I google for this I am seeing examples related to udev(How to run a script when a usb device is inserted/removed); but in my case it is not device insertion/removal. There is no need for a device creation when the DP monitor is plugged in/out(There is no device node available for me).
Basically I want to send this removal/insertion event from my kernel interrupt handler to
user space program.

Regards,
Arun C