Re: Kernel Development

On 02/23/2014 10:54 PM, subham soni wrote:
Hello,
        I am a newbie to kernel development. I would like to develop my own kernel from scratch. From where should I start from?
developing you own Kernel. nice. i suggest you learn more about kernel design and their role's. that will make you aware of how things work.
http://wiki.osdev.org/ (+ many more) will be your friends.
I have a good experience of the commands in Linux (Ubuntu,Fedora,Debian,Slackware).
This would help you on your way. :)
I googled out and I came to know that I should start from Device Drivers.
device drivers are for kernel's that are running.
if you want to make your own, you have to design a infrastructure for drivers to place.
Now which device driver should I code?
if you are thinking of starting from Linux source, give it a try :p.
/dev/null is an excellent example to start.
Or should I master Shell Scripting?
depends on type of work, but i think basic things like Makefile, compiling from shell, and doing echo work should be ok (at minimum).
For developing a kernel (my aim here would be to increase the battery life, since most laptops have only 1.30 hrs or 2.00 hrs in Linux OS) and 3.00 hrs in Windows Environment. How should I start and from where?
all i can say is:
learn more about low power thingi'es so that you can re iterate on what your asking.

Linux OS -> GNU/Linux OS   GNU userland utilities/applications with Linux Kernel :)

summary:
    learn more about kernel design,
    how they work,
    decide hardware to bake on.
    read hardware document
    learn from others kernel
    VM will be handy. (qemu, ...)
    patience <--- important
    be ready for hiccup's

Kuldeep Singh Dhaka
+91-8791676237
Programmer, Open Source, Embedded System, Entrepreneur, System Administrator, Animal Lover, Web Developer, Learner.
Bitcoins Accepted.