Question on Platform Device/Driver

Can someone give me some pointers or tell me as to how can one use a platform driver for reading and writing?

For example, if i have a wm97xx codec IC, a core platform driver is provided (as on the below link).
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/input/touchscreen/wm97xx-core.c

If i wanted to use this core driver to read the auxilary ADC's of wm97xx codec how do i go about using the register read, write functions or read auxiliary adc functions provided by this driver file?

I have gone through the documentation provided here http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/driver-model/ but it is still not clear to me. I understand the concept of why a platform driver is required and how each device registers itself with the pseudo platform bus, but, i do not understand how to use such a driver or make my driver based on it and then use it for reading/writing.

I understand character device drivers but, i am at a loss when it comes to understand these platform drivers. I come from embedded domain and these drivers seem are ubiquitous.

Thanks.