Changing location of disk/filesystem cache

Hi All,

I have a newbie question on disk/filesystem caches, so please bear with me! :)

* Is disk cache the same as filesystem cache? Or there's nothing like a filesysten cache and all disk I/O, irrespective of what FS is being accessed, is cached in a "disk cache"?

* Is this caching done at the VFS layer?

* Can the location of a disk cache be changed, i.e instead of caching it in memory (main RAM) can it be made to cache the files in a specific device?

To give some idea on why I'm asking these questions, I'll explain my problem a little here (I myself have only started working on it so I don't have all the details worked out yet).

I'm working on a special device which sits across the PCIe bus and accesses files (or it's data) and does some processing with it. It transmits this data out via a special high-speed link to another device (thats some black hole for me right now). The transmit speed is in the 300-400 Gbps range. This device also a lot of local memory, which is ~ 80GB.The PCIe interface however supports transfer speeds which are much lower, i.e in the 5-8 Gbps range.

In order to reduce latency in transmitting this content, I was thinking if there's a way to make the disk cache content available in this device's local memory.

Instead of writing a custom module for that, I was wondering if there already exists a way in the kernel where a cache device can be specified and the kernel uses that to store the cached file content?

Any ideas on making the cached content available inside the device are welcome! :)

Regards,
-mandeep