Re: Introducing Myself, Looking to Learn

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 17:44:30 -0400, "Robert P. J. Day" said:

>  if you're a beginner, then the obvious starting point is to start
> reading. and read. and read. and when you're done reading, read some
> more. and slowly, you'll figure out what interests you most. and
> that's where you then spend your time.

If they want to be productive right up front, they should learn how
to get a copy of the linux-next tree, how to update it, and build/run
kernels from it. We can always use more testers of code before it
gets released - it makes Greg KH's work with stable kernels a lot easier
if we catch the bugs before they are officially released.

Oh, and if people want to learn the kernel, "figure out what in linux-next
broke *this* time" is a good way to do it - I never seem to hit 2 bugs in
the same secion of the kernel in a row.

Oh, and build those kernels with lockdep testing enabled - it finds a lot
of bugs, and figuring out why a given lockdep report is a problem (or a
false positive) is *great* training for understanding locking.