Re: Kernel Summit 2013: Call for Hobbyists

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 3:31 AM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As an experiment this year, the Linux Kernel Summit Program Committee
> would like to put out a call for hobbyists. This year, we have up to
> three places to give to people who do Linux Kernel development as a
> hobby rather than a profession (Our definition of "hobbyist" is anyone
> who doesn't get paid to work on Linux).  The Linux Kernel Summit will be
> held this year in Edinburgh from 23-25 October and, on the core day (the
> 24th of October), will primarily be concentrating on processes around
> kernel development.  Since most top kernel developers are not hobbyists
> these days, this is your opportunity to make up for what we're missing.
> As we recognize most hobbyists don't have the resources to attend
> conferences, we're offering (as part of the normal kernel summit travel
> fund processes) travel reimbursement as part of being selected to
> attend.
>
> To apply, please send a proposal outlining what you do, what you'd bring
> to the kernel summit and preferably what you think the current kernel
> processes should be doing to encourage more hobbyist contributions (or
> should not be doing because it discriminates against hobbyist
> contributions) to:
>
> ksummit-2013-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Please add the prefix [HOBBYIST ATTEND] to the subject line so we can
> easily find them.
>
> Descriptions of particularly cool hobbyist projects in the kernel which
> have been overlooked by the mainstream might also be good topics for
> discussion.  Since the Kernel Summit is only two months away, we're
> looking to have hobbyist proposals submitted by 24 August.  We know that
> this is a tight timetable and we apologize; this idea came up too late
> for us to provide better notice.  The current plan is to make the
> hobbyist slots a permanent part of the selection criteria, so things
> should be less rushed in the coming years.

Hello Theodore,

Does the number and importance of contributions made to the kernel
have a very significant weight? Or is it accessible to recent
contributors, with perhaps not more than a dozen or so small
contributions (small bug fixes and micro improvements) ?

Thanks, that seems like a very good initiative.

Filipe David Manana,