Career in Linux Internals and Embedded Systems

I am working as a software professional engineer with 12+ years experience in C/C++ on Linux platform.

I have a burning desire to work on Embedded system and Linux Device Driver development - I have self practiced and learned some basics but now not sure how to proceed next. I have a PC where I have Linux OS and practice Linux Kernel development / device driver - for embedded system I self-learned 8051 and PIC16F870. But now I am hearing Raspberry PI and other new controllers would provide a good career opportunities.

If I want to pursue my career in Linux Internals / Embedded systems what things should I learn or be expertise in? I have plans to buy Raspberry PI. But I don't know what projects to practice or rather what programs to write to enlighten up. I mean I am totally confused of what I should proceed learning and development?

I need some direction on what should I practice and where I can get ideas and help of what projects to do. I do not wish to join any training institute cause they are professionals and costly. If a setup is required I would do it at my house and pursue further on.

Can anyone please guide me accordingly - like - what I should learn for better career opportunity / what projects I should self-practice and where I can get help related to projects?