Re: Finding help

Oh, and of course, the kernel man pages and the source code itself :)

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Stephen Gream <poisonthemon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Maria,

Most of what I learned about the Linux kernel I learned in an operating systems course at uni, the note for which are freely available at http://cs.anu.edu.au/student/comp3300/notes.php

A good place to start is with rolling your own kernel, for which there is a ton of resources to be found. Usually it's best to follow special steps suited to your distro. Another really good starting place for getting a high level view of how the kernel fits in with the entire eco system is doing the Linux from Scratch http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/ tutorials.

If you want to dive straight into the code, though, try finding a simple USB gadget like a Nerf launcher or something and reverse engineering a driver. USB drivers are probably the easiest to write, unless you're working with something really crazy.

Hope this helps,
Stephen