Questions about process state manipulation

Hi All,

I had a question about manipulating process state information in the kernel and am curious about the right way to go about it.
(I'm just messing around with some stuff to try and understand the kernel better). I had 2 questions:

1. I'm trying to create a process in the TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE state in the kernel. Since do_fork() creates a process/task that is ready to be scheduled, I was thinking what might be a good way to pull it off the runqueue/stop its execution after do_fork() returns?

2.I'm curious if someone can explain the correct way to use the  "set_task_state()" macro. Its implementation just seems to boil down to an assignment to the appropriate member of the task_struct. The question I had in mind was, what if the process is already running? Is it safe to do it? Don't we need to acquire some sort of lock before we manipulate a task_struct ?

3. I would also be interested to read the correct way to use task_lock() that locks on alloc_lock field of the task_struct. What exactly is this lock for and does acquiring it/or any other lock in the task_struct cause the process to be remoted from the runqueue?

Would appreciate any pointers to appropriate code/reading or any explanation.
Thanks,
--
Amit Gupta