Re: creation, context switch time of process and thread

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 12:50 PM, richard -rw- weinberger <richard.weinberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Srinivas Ramanan
<srinivas.ramanan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can someone give the  information of following typical values in Kernel 3.x
> in a 2Ghz machine with sufficient RAM
>
> Process creation time ?
> Process context switch time ?
> pthread creation time ?
> pthread context swich  time ?
> kernel thread creation time ?
> kernel thread context switch  time ?

Thanks for pointing out the tools. I will look in to them.
To confirm that i am measuring it right, can someone give some (approximate) typical values for the above,
Assuming some 200 instructions in context switching  assembly code, i guess the process context switch takes around 100ns. is this right?
I guess the process creation time will be greater than process context switch time. correct?
Will the pthread context switch time be different from a kernel thread context switch time?

thanks,
ramanan