Re: Incremental Linking

Hi,

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Sarbojit Ganguly
<unixman.linuxboy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
> I tried to explain this feature (no doubt you have explain it
> perfectly) but he is looking for _how_ kernel module gets loaded and
> somehow (I wonder how!) dubs the entire process as "incremental link"
> !

Then you'll probably want to look at the source code for kmod, which
does most of the work.
http://git.profusion.mobi/cgit.cgi/kmod.git/tree/
Older kernels used module-init-tools

Basically, you load the module into memory, enumerate the list of
unresolved symbols, look those symbols up in the kernel to find their
address and plug them in.

There are lots of little details that I've glossed over, but those
little details are pretty standard stuff as far as linkers and loaders
go and isn't really kernel specific.

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada