Re: rootfile system porting for FPGA [/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off]

Thanks all for ur replies.
I gave a try to create a new rootfile system (ext2) by following the procedure in free-electrons.com and examples in the busybox folder.
Surprisingly, it got built properly and run upto the same point and doesn't accept any commands i'm typing.
I haven't added serial related stuff (gettty) in the inittab/rcS file as I am still not much clear about it.

My board setup is :
I am using JTAG debugger to load the kernel and root file system (DRAM controller initilization is done through JTAG) & then kernel and rootfs are loaded.
I am getting the "printk" messages in terminal program (tera-term running in PC)

Since,I am not using bootloader ,I enable console prints in the call to cosole_init in start_kernel (by adding the flags CONSOLE_PRINTBUFFER | CON_ENABLED in the struct console)
Once call to console_init happens,I am starting to get print messages.

My query is:
At later point after file system mounted, is this same console used for login? (i'm having only one UART port in my board -> ttySAC0)
Am I getting this err (/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off) because console is locked already for printk's?
What changes are needed in the inittab & /etc/init.d/rcS file to get the working shell prompt for this scenario?

below are the console messages:
RAMDISK: ext2 filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 3072KiB [1 disk] into ram disk... \
done.
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly on device 1:0.
Freeing init memory: 80K
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
/ #

 /etc/inittab file contents
# This is run first script
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
# Start an "askfirst" shell on the console
::askfirst:­/bin/sh
# Stuff to do when restarting the init process
::restart:/sbin/init
# Stuff to do before rebooting
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/bin/umount ­a ­r

/etc/init.d/rcS file contents
#!/bin/sh
mount ­t proc none /proc
mount ­t sysfs none /sys
exec /sbin/sh
/bin/sh

plz suggest me the changes required to get working shell prompt..

Thanks,

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Adam Lee <adam8157@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 06:21:05PM +0530, pcuser p wrote:
> I am ending up in the shell prompt with the message as below:
> "entered linuxrc script"
> "/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
> / $"
>
> my kernel commad line is
> "mem=32M console=ttySAC0,115200 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc initrd=
> 0x80800000,8M user_debug=31"

In my kernel command line(with busybox), init=/sbin/init, I drop
commands into /etc/profile.

> Below are my /linuxrc and /etc/inittab file contents
> linuxrc:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /bin/echo "entered linuxrc script"
> /bin/sh
> exec /sbin/init

Don't run sh before init, this makes the warning.

> /etc/inittab:
>
> # Run gettys in standard runlevels
> 3:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 115200 ttySAC0

runlevels makes no sense here, but it should be OK.

And, I use busybox to build the rootfs for kernel debugging:
https://github.com/adam8157/kernel-studio
the rootfs making script is at here right now:
https://github.com/adam8157/kernel-studio/blob/master/mkrootfs
Might helps.

--
Regards,